Tuesday, April 9, 2024

EOTO reacts (History of Netflix)

After researching the postal service's history, I listened to my classmates' presentations. One that resonated with me was the creation of Netflix and its effect on streaming entertainment today. In 1997, Marc Randolph and Reed Hastings had the idea of renting DVDs through the mail, and after many test runs, they had achieved what they were going for, without knowing they would begin an era of easy access to shows and films for America and beyond. Before this presentation, I was unaware that Netflix had started as a DVD service, leading to Redbox and Blockbuster's creation. Once it evolved into a streaming service, it eventually kicked Blockbuster and Redbox off the face of the earth and can only be found in certain areas today. The idea and creation of streaming was an extreme technological advancement for the world and increased what is now called “binge-watching.” binge-watching is a term that was made up because these streaming sites began to release whole seasons at once, causing people to sit in front of their tv and watch whole seasons at once. My classmate talked about how Netflix planted the seed for many other streaming sources to become what they are today, giving us options for what we watch. For example, we have Prime Video, HBO Max, Disney+, and Hulu. overall, this presentation was very informative and I was so unaware of how a service I use daily came to be. I really enjoyed this presentation and it allowed me to learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My generation and their relationship with technology

Given the age of technology I was born into, I use it way more than I realistically should. I was given a phone at the age of ten to have ...